Why Choose Cohen Injury Law Group, P.C. for Your Bicycle Accident ClaimIf you were hurt in a bicycle accident, you may want to get in touch with a bicycle accident lawyer Los Angeles, CA residents trust. You may be entitled to compensation. The lawyer at Cohen Injury Law Group, P.C. have helped many bicycle accident victims get justice and want to help you. These lawyer are truly skilled at their craft and have a passion for helping those who have been wronged. They understand that a bicycle accident can result in severe injuries that can put you out of work for a while. You may worry how you will pay your medical expenses and other bills in the meantime. The legal professionals at Cohen Injury Law Group, P.C. know that you may feel stressed and overwhelmed right now. They will treat you with the utmost compassion and take the time to address all of your questions and concerns. Once you discuss your case with them, you may feel a sense of relief.
How a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Can HelpIf you were injured in a bicycle accident that was another driver’s fault, you deserve to be compensated for your medical bills, lost wages and other losses. However, in order to receive fair compensation, you will need to have a strong case. An experienced Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer can improve your chances of recovering compensation. Here are a few ways a lawyer can help you with your claim.
- Determine the true value of your case. If you don’t have a legal background, you might not know the true value of your bicycle accident case. That is why it is important to have a killed bicycle accident lawyer on your side. He or she has likely handled similar cases in the past and knows how much your claim is truly worth. He or she may also inform you of damages you may not have known you were entitled to, such as emotional distress.
- Reduce stress. Bicycle accidents can result in some pretty serious injuries, so you may need a lot of time to recover. You do not need the added stress of handling your own personal injury claim. A Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer can deal with all the legwork, so you can focus on taking care of yourself.
- Negotiate with the insurance company. Dealing with insurance companies is not easy. Even if it is clear the other driver was at-fault, the insurance company may still try to get out of paying you what you deserve. This is another important reason to work with an experienced lawyer. He or she will have experience negotiating with insurance companies and will not let them take advantage of you. A lawyer can improve your chances of getting a fair settlement.
- Represent you in court. Although most bicycle accident claims get settled out of court, there is always a chance that your case may go to trial. If the insurance company is not willing to offer you a fair settlement, your lawyer may advise you to go to court. A bicycle accident lawyer Los Angeles, CA residents trust will know how to present a convincing argument to the jury, increasing your chances of a favorable outcome.
Common Bicycle Accident InjuriesBicyclists lack the protection of a vehicle, so they are more likely to suffer serious injuries in an accident. Here are the most common bicycle accident injuries.
- Head injuries. Head injuries are one of the most severe injuries bicyclists can sustain during accidents. Common symptoms of a head injury include dizziness, headache, nausea, confusion, loss of consciousness and ringing in the ears. Severe injuries can have long-term effects, like cognitive difficulties, trouble with speech and emotional problems.
- Road rash. In a high speed accident, a bicycle could get thrown off the bike and hit the ground. As a result, the bicyclist may sustain road rash on their legs, arms, face and other exposed body parts. Skin could get scraped off, leaving it vulnerable to infection.
- Broken bones. Cyclists who are thrown off their bicycle in an accident can also break bones in their arms, legs and other extremities. As a Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer can confirm, breaking a bone is very painful and may require a long recovery time. If a bone is broken in more than one place, surgery may be required.
- Facial injuries. If cyclists hit their face on the pavement during an accident, they may suffer facial injuries. These injuries include eye damage, a fractured jaw, broken teeth and a broken nose.
- Chest injuries. When a vehicle hits a person on a bicycle, the cyclist may hit a part of their bike with his or her chest. This may result in broken ribs, which require immediate medical attention.
How Bicyclists Can Prevent AccidentsA bicycle can provide both transportation and exercise, but it does come with risks. However, you can take steps to reduce your risk of getting into a bicycle accident.
- Wear bright colored clothes in the dark so that motorists see you.
- Don’t wear headphones, as they can distract you from the road ahead.
- Don’t ride too fast.
- Stay in the bike lane.
- Use the proper hand signals.
- Use headlights at night.
Proving Negligence in Bicycle Accident CasesIf your goal is to obtain compensation for your bicycle accident injuries, you must prove that the other party involved in the accident was negligent. Here are the four components of negligence that you have to establish:
- The defendant owed you a duty to keep you safe
- The defendant violated the duty of care
- The violation directly resulted in your injuries
- Your injuries resulted in damages
What You Should Do After a Bicycle AccidentWhile getting into a bicycle accident can be very shocking, it’s important to stay calm and take the necessary steps to protect your health and compensation.
- Contact the police. If you were injured in a bicycle accident, call the police immediately. They will come to the accident scene and file a report, which will have important details about the names of everyone involved in the accident and a narrative about how the accident happened.
- Speak to witnesses. If there were bystanders present at the time of your accident, you will want to ask for their names and contact information. They may be able to provide corroboration that the motorist was at-fault.
- Document the accident scene. Your Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer will advise you to obtain as much information as possible about the accident scene. Write down everything you remember, such as the road conditions, weather and what the motorist was doing before the accident. If you have a smartphone camera, take a few photos of the accident scene, including your bicycle, vehicles involved in the accident, traffic signs and skid marks on the road. If you are too hurt to take photos, consider asking a bystander for help.
- Get medical care. No matter what, you should seek emergency medical care right after a bicycle accident. Even if you do not feel too badly hurt, it is still wise to get examined by a doctor. Some injuries do not present symptoms right away. A doctor can assess your injuries and recommend the proper treatment.
- Be careful about what you say to the insurance company. After a bicycle accident, the at-fault party’s insurance company may try to contact you to ask you questions about your case. Do not mention too many details about the accident. The insurance company might misconstrue your words in an attempt to reduce the value of your case. Direct them to speak to your lawyer.
- Consult a lawyer. It is in your best interest to retain an experienced Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. A lawyer can investigate your accident, help you file a timely claim and negotiate a settlement.