Why Choose Cohen Injury Law Group, P.C. for Your Dog Bite Accident Claim
If you were recently bitten by a dog, you may want to speak with a dog bite accident lawyer Los Angeles, CA residents trust. Dog bites can result in serious injuries and you deserve to be compensated for them if the owner’s negligence allowed the dog to bite you. The lawyers at Cohen Injury Law Group understand how traumatic it is to be bitten by a dog and want to be there in your time of need. They have helped other dog bite victims get justice and know what it takes to have a successful claim. These lawyers have a true passion for helping their clients and will go the extra mile for you.
The legal professionals at Cohen Injury Law Group know what it takes to have a successful dog bite case. They will help you obtain necessary evidence, such as photos of your injuries and medical records, and handle the negotiation process with the insurance company. These lawyers will know the true value of your case and will not allow the insurance company to take advantage of you. If the insurance company is not willing to offer a fair settlement out of court, these lawyers are not afraid to take your case to trial. They will provide a convincing argument to the jury and improve your chances of a favorable outcome.
What To Do When Attacked By A Dog
Getting bitten by a dog can definitely be a scary experience. Although suffering a dog bite injury can indeed be shocking, it is important to remain calm and take the necessary steps to protect your well-being and right to compensation. Here are the things you should do after getting bitten by a dog:
- Clean the wound. If possible, clean the wound right away. Run water over the wound for a few minutes to clear out dirt and other particles. Doing this may lessen the risk of getting an infection.
- Obtain the dog owner’s contact information. If you know the owner of the dog who bit you, make sure to ask for his or her name and contact information. Dog bites claims are usually processed through homeowner’s or renter’s insurance, so it’s critical to obtain his or her contact information.
- Find out if the dog was vaccinated. When you inform the pet owner about the dog bite, ask if the dog is up-to-date on all of its vaccinations. Request proof of these vaccinations in writing.
- Take photos of the injury. If a dog bite caused a visible injury, be sure to take photos of it right away. As a Los Angeles dog bite accident lawyer can confirm, photos will provide proof that you did suffer an injury. If you are too hurt to take the photos yourself, ask a family member or friend for help.
- Seek medical attention. Dog bite injuries can result in infection, disfigurement, and other complications. That is why your dog bite accident lawyer Los Angeles, CA residents trust will advise you to seek medical care as soon as possible. A doctor can evaluate your injuries and advise on the proper treatment. The sooner you treat a dog bite injury, the more likely you are to make a full recovery.
- Follow your doctor’s advice. Whether your doctor has recommended taking antibiotics or getting a tetanus shot, it is important to follow his or her advice. Your doctor is a professional and knows what’s best for your health.
- Contact animal control. The last thing you want is for the dog to bite someone else. That is why it is important to inform animal control about the incident as soon as possible. They will investigate it and may be able to prevent the dog from attacking another person.
- Talk to witnesses. If anyone was present when you were bitten by a dog, you should ask them for their names and contact information. They may be able to verify the details of the accident and strengthen your claim. For example, they may have noticed that you did nothing to provoke the dog before the incident.
- Write in a journal. A Los Angeles dog bite accident lawyer may advise you to write about how the dog bite has impacted your life thus far. For example, if you wake up in pain every day, jot that information down in a journal. If you experience intense anxiety whenever you are around a dog, you should also write that down. Writing in a journal will provide additional evidence about how the dog bite has made your life more difficult.
- Consult a lawyer. If you want to obtain compensation for your dog bite injury, you may want to speak with a Los Angeles dog bite accident lawyer. A lawyer can help you file a timely claim against the negligent dog owner and help you gather evidence to prove your case. He or she can also negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company. If you have a skilled lawyer on your side, it can make the entire situation a little less overwhelming. He or she can handle the legwork, so you can focus on recovering from your injuries and getting on with your life.
Dog Bite Injuries That Typically Get Compensation
While some dog bites are minor, others can cause serious injuries that require immediate medical attention. Here are the most common dog bite injuries:
- Infections. Those who suffer dog bites may be at risk of infection. If a puncture is deep enough, bacteria can get into the tissue and cause a serious infection. One of the most life-threatening infections a dog bite can cause is rabies. As a dog bite accident lawyer Los Angeles, CA residents trust can attest, the infection spreads to humans through the saliva of infected animals. Symptoms of rabies include fever, itching sensation, headache, weakness, and delirium. Tetanus is another infection that can result from dog bites. Also called lockjaw, tetanus enters the body through breaks in the skin and can cause difficulty swallowing, headache, cramping of jaw muscles, fever, and muscle pain.
- Punctures. Punctures are deep wounds that can result from dog bites. Puncture wounds are not just very painful. They may also lead to loss of mobility if not treated immediately. These injuries often require surgery and skin grafts.
- Bone fractures. In severe dog attacks, people can also suffer bone fractures. These fractures are especially serious when they occur on the hands, feet, or facial bones. If the fragile bones in these areas break, it can lead to loss of mobility. Surgery may be required to repair bone fractures.
- Amputation. Unfortunately, some dog bites can lead to amputation. If an arm, leg, or other extremity is so badly damaged that it can’t be saved, amputation may be necessary. You may be able to get fitted for prosthetics and have to relearn how to perform certain tasks.
- Avulsions. Avulsions refer to large chunks of skin torn from the body and carry a high infection risk. They can also result in scarring, disfigurement, and loss of muscle function.
- Emotional distress. A Los Angeles dog bite accident lawyer can confirm that dog bites are not just physical. Some people can also suffer severe emotional distress after getting bitten by a dog. They may become depressed and anxious. These individuals may even become too scared to ever be around dogs again. This type of emotional distress can take a huge toll on someone’s life and may even keep him or her from holding down a job. If you suffered emotional distress after getting bitten by a dog, it is important to talk to a mental health professional. He or she can offer a non-biased perspective and teach you healthy coping mechanisms.
If you sustained any of these injuries as a result of a dog bite, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. A Los Angeles dog bite accident lawyer can help you pursue these damages and hold the negligent party accountable for their careless actions.
California Dog Bite Laws
California has strict liability dog bite laws, so it holds pet owners accountable for most dog bite injuries. The victim does not have to prove that the owner was negligent to recover damages. Even if the dog never bit someone in the past or the owner had no reason to believe that the dog could be dangerous, the owner will still be held responsible for any dog bite injuries.
However, there are certain exceptions in which the pet owner may not be held responsible for dog bite injuries. For example, if the person who got bitten was trespassing at the time of the attack, the owner may not be liable. Likewise, if the person provoked the dog before getting bitten, the owner might not be held responsible.
Free Consultation with a Dog Bite Lawyer in Los Angeles
If you suffered a dog bite injury, you may want to schedule a free consultation with a Los Angeles dog bite accident lawyer as soon as possible. During your initial consultation, a lawyer from Cohen Injury Law Group will assess the details of your case and determine if you have a strong claim or not. Since the first consultation is free, there is no risk in scheduling one today.